Saturday, October 2, 2010

24 Hour Play date....

The hardest part of leaving North Carolina last March was leaving behind friends. It was hard because not only were David and I leaving friends behind but Maddy was leaving friends behind too. I always knew that we would keep in touch with those that we loved but it was hard to explain that to a 3 year old. As luck has it our best buds from Greensboro, the Bedford's, also moved and are now in Birmingham, AL which is only a 3.5 hour drive from Macon (easy drive compared to 8 hours to Greensboro).  

Reif and Maddy have known each other since the were about 6 months old and their birthdays are only a week apart. Us mommies, Jessica and Carolyn, met through a playgroup and instantly clicked and our husbands got along so that made the friendship even better. Over the course of 3 years we watched each other kids, went on vacation, played tennis, and had dozens of play dates together.

So on Wednesday I picked Maddy up from preschool and we headed over to Birmingham to see the Bedford's for what I call a "24 hour play date."  The kids (Reif, Maddy, Pepper, and Kate) played, and played, and played. Carolyn and I talked, and talked, and talked for almost 24 hours straight. We did take about a 6 hour break for some sleep. :-) We played outside, watched movies, did crafts, went to a great park, and had a picnic. It was so much fun. It was just what Maddy and I both needed.

To me it reaffirmed that no matter where we are we will always be close friends. Both kids and mommies were able to pick up right were they left off 7 months ago and in my opinion that's a sign of a beautiful friendship. People keep in touch, send Christmas cards, etc, but you know you've got a true connection with someone when you can go weeks without talking on the phone yet show up at their house and feel totally at home.  And that's exactly how the Bury's feel about the Bedford's. :-) We can't wait for the next "24 hour play date."

Over the course of 24 hours I took 200 pictures.... Once I go through all of them I will post the whole album but in the meantime here are some of my favorites.
Kate (left) and Pepper (right) playing together.
Pepper, 20 months old

Reif and Maddy riding trikes at the park.

Peek a Boo, I see Reif

Peek a Boo, I see Maddy


No comments:

Post a Comment