Tuesday, April 12, 2011

My Quaterly Craft Project

I consider myself a fairly creative and sometimes crafty person. I like reading blogs about home decorating and projects. I have the best intentions when it comes to implementing those ideas into our own home but somehow I rarely follow though. Maybe it's the fact that I have two small children running around, maybe it's a money thing (crafting and home decor are not a top financial priority), or maybe I am just lazy and scared of making a mistake (I am a bit of a control freak and perfectionist). But every now and then something inspires me enough to dig out my glue and staple guns and make something. This happens about once a quarter...my last quarterly craft project was our kitchen table. This quarter it's art work for our master bedroom....

Like a lot of people, I have this fascination with typography (letters, initials, monograms). I am always on the lookout for our initials: B, J, D, M, K.  I have often found our initials but they also came with a price tag that I couldn't justify. This time my inspiration came from some scrap fabric I had and a desire to finally do something with our master bedroom lamps. So $10 and trip to Hobby Lobby later I had everything I needed to make some typography art for our bedroom. Here's what I made....

 1. Got these initials for $.99 at Hobby Lobby and painted them a vintage looking turquoise blue.

2. Took two 11x14 canvas' and wrapped them with my scrap fabric. 

3. Once dry I used my glue gun to adhere the initials to the wrapped canvas. 

4. The final product: typography art for our bedside tables.

Can you guess who's side of the bed this is? Ha.

So in the end I am really pleased with my "typography art". It's inspired me to work on on our bedroom and make it a grown up room. I think I am off to a good start but next on my list is to paint the walls. And by the way, don't you just love my lamp? Mimi found those for me last mother's day and I love them!   

No comments:

Post a Comment