Tuesday, January 18, 2011

What can you do with Burlap and Vinyl?


Our table before.
This is our kitchen table. It's the gathering place, art table, extra counter top, play dough play area, and so much more. When we bought it 5 years ago we didn't have children, just a dog who loves to "surf" counter tops for food. Its bar height style (to deter Zack from begging) and dark wood attracted us. Well flash forward 2 moves and 2 kids later it's not looking so hot. It's got scratches and rough places all over it.

It wasn't an expensive table when we bought it so I am not too torn up that it's beat up but I know if I keep wiping it down and letting the girls do art projects it's going to look even worse. I don't want to invest in a new table because I am thinking our guests would rather have a real bed in the guest room. So I stole an idea from my friend Tiffany and recovered our table.

If you have looked at any home magazines or watched an HGTV show lately you may have noticed that burlap fabric is a popular choice in home decorating now. So with inspiration from HGTV, Tiffany, and Mimi I headed to WalMart in search of burlap and vinyl. For about $7.00 I got burlap and clear plastic vinyl (the kind used as furniture covers in the 70's) and I upholstered our kitchen table. It was easy. The neutral color and texture of the burlap works well in our kitchen and the clear plastic on top makes the table super kid friendly.

At only $7.00 our table is new again and if I wake up one morning and don't like it I can just pull the staples out and "viola" it's back to its original wood top. For now it works for us and my new Fire King bowl looks fabulous on it. :-)

Just part of our scratched up table and
 Kate wondering why Mommy is standing on a chair.

Our table covered in burlap and vinyl.

After Picture.
Close up of my new bowl. See Allison I finally got one!

No comments:

Post a Comment