Thursday, December 2, 2010

Winston the Elf

This morning we found Winston in our pantry.
This is Winston, the Bury family elf.  Winston came to us last Christmas. When we found Winston he was in a box, nameless, and looking for a home. David and I debated for a few days on what his name should be. We asked Maddy and she replied "elf". Well that was too plain. We looked in books and on the Internet for the perfect name. After all this elf would be part of our family for a long time. Then we decided on "Winston" because both of our girls were born in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

Last year Maddy was too young to understand the concept of Elf on the Shelf. I'll admit I am not sure I totally agree with the premise of Elf on the Shelf. I love traditions and I love the innocence of "Christmas Magic" and believing in Santa Claus but I am not sure about "bribing" children to behave for 24 days so Santa will come visit. What happens on December 25th when Winston leaves and Santa has come and gone?

Well this year is different. Maddy is totally into Christmas and believing. It's wonderful to see Christmas through her eyes. She is even beginning to understand the true meaning of Christmas and the birth of our savior, Jesus Christ (more about that in a minute). Winston came back to us this week, he appeared at our side door on Tuesday morning. I am still struggling with whole "bribe" concept. Don't get me wrong, both David and I have already said "be careful Maddy, Winston is watching." We're not perfect but it does work! :-) So for now Winston is more about the anticipation of Christmas than a behavior modifier.

Switching gears here...earlier yesterday we put Maddy's Nativity set in the playroom and talked about the meaning of Christmas. Later in the day the girls and I went to K-Mart to look for Christmas tree lights. While we were in the Christmas department we walked past a display of big plastic Nativity sets for the yard. Maddy stopped me, pointed, and said "Mommy we have to get this." "If we put this in our yard everyone will drive by and say David, Jessica, Maddy, and Kate like Jesus and then they'll know that Jesus was born on Christmas." I didn't buy it but I have a feeling a big plastic Nativity set for the yard is in our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment