Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Maddy's First Day of Kindergarten


Most of you already know that last Monday, August 13, Maddy started Kindergarten. I'll just go ahead and tell you what you want to know.... Maddy loves Kindergarten! She loves school, always has, and we hope always will. If you ask Maddy what she likes about school she'll tell you that she loves taking her lunchbox, writing in her school planner, reading Pete the Cat, and talking. In fact she likes talking so much that on the second day of school she got a "yellow" card for talking during reading time. :-( But in her defense, Maddy tells us that she was trying to make friends by "reading" to a girl she didn't know.

Who knows if that will be the only time she gets "in trouble" at school but I can tell you that every day since then she's quick to point to the "green" box in her planner and repeat the classroom rules to us at dinner. All in all, Maddy has handled the transition to Kindergarten well. I have not.....

Leading up to school I knew I might be a little sad to have my baby gone all day but no one prepared me for the overwhelming emotions I felt last week. I didn't just feel sad because I missed Maddy, I felt like the rug was completely been pulled out from under my feet and I was no longer in control of Maddy's day. And that's not just me wanting to be a "helicopter" parent who hovers over her child and make every decision for her. I saw enough of that when I was teaching to know that I want my girls to be independent and make good choices on their own. But I thought I would have some sort of transition period to help ease my anxiety and let go of my "preschooler."

Well that's not how it works. We chose a great school for Maddy to attend. We have full confidence in the school and it's staff. They were great at the open house and on the first day to acknowledge the major anxiety a lot of Kindergarten parents felt but by the second day....BOOM the door was slammed in my face (literally) and reality set in. Elementary school means business, there are rules and procedures for everything. I appreciate and understand the "rules" but I didn't prepare myself for the fact that the rules would apply to me, starting day one!

After a week of grinding my teeth, panicking, and almost pulling Maddy out of school (yes, for a brief moment I entertained homeschooling) I can say that I survived the first week of school. I was almost as excited as Maddy was for the second week to start, but not quite (I don't like getting up early). As I was talking to another parent about the transition from preschool to elementary school, I realized it all comes down to faith. Faith in your child's abilities, faith in the decisions we make as parents, and of course faith in God. In other words, I know and trust that Maddy is ready for "big" school and I know that with David and God by my side I (we) can handle anything that elementary school and life throw our way!

Now remind me of this in two weeks when Kate starts preschool.... Sigh.... :-)


Maddy with her teacher, Mrs. G


Not sure that this bookbag will last 13 years but it would be interesting to save it and see how big (or small) it looks on her when she graduates from high school....

No comments:

Post a Comment