Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mother's Day 2011

I've been meaning to blog about Mother's Day but I've (we've) been a little distracted the past few days with a very sick Kate. Seems like I just blogged about her being sick but she caught something else this past weekend. It started on Friday with a fever, runny nose, and cough. Pediatrician said it's viral, it should pass quickly.... Well by Sunday Kate was still running a fever (despite Motrin and Tylenol) and now had diarrhea and was extremely lethargic. I've never seen her so sick, or Maddy for that matter.

It just broke my heart to watch Kate take her lovey, use it as a pillow, and lay on the floor, crying. The scary part came Monday morning when she wouldn't eat or drink and had not had a wet diaper. And if you remember back to October when she spiked a fever and had a seizure you can imagine how nervous I was about her running a fever for three days in a row. So I admit, I kinda had a meltdown on Monday morning. I felt helpless and so out of control, there was nothing I could do to make Kate feel better. David could see I was struggling so he took off work to help out and support. Which was wonderful.

Back to the pediatrician Kate and I went. Pediatrician confirmed it's still viral, we have to wait it out and watch closely for dehydration. He prescribed some nausea medication in hopes that it would settle Kate's tummy enough to get her to drink. If she didn't have 3 wet diapers by Tuesday morning we would bring her back for IV fluids. After that visit I felt a little better, at least we had a plan (I do better with a plan).

We gave Kate the medicine, rocked her, and within 30 minutes of taking the medicine she reached for her sippy cup and took a few sips of juice! Praise the Lord!  Now we just needed her to wet her diaper. Mimi and Poppi graciously invited Maddy for a sleepover just in case we ended up going back to the doctor for IV fluids. Luckily we never did have to take Kate. By Monday evening she had eaten a banana, some applesauce, and drank a whole sippy cup. She slept through the night and woke up this morning with a huge wet diaper. I've never been so happy to see a dirty diaper. :-)

Kate's fever finally broke this morning. As her fever broke a rash appeared on her tummy and back.... After Google and a call to the pediatrician we finally determined Kate has Roseola. I'll let you do your own Google research but basically Roseola is a virus that babies up to 2 years old can get. It starts out with cold like symptoms, fever for days, sometimes diarrhea, fussiness, and just as the fever breaks the baby develops a rash.  The good news is that she's not contagious anymore and within a day or two Kate should be back to normal.

OK, now I can blog about one of my Mother's Day gifts.....

On Friday, Maddy's preschool held a Mother's Day Tea. It was so cute. The kids sang 3 songs for Mom, each class made gifts for mom, and we enjoyed tea sandwiches and treats together. In Maddy's class, the teachers interviewed each child about their Mom. In the picture above you can see Maddy's answers. This summer we are going to work on her concept of "age"..... :-)

And I love Maddy's painting of me on tile. When she gave it to me, Maddy said "I am so sorry I didn't know how to draw your nose, it shouldn't look like a circle but I did make your eyes blue." How sweet is that?  It's one of the best gifts I've gotten on Mother's Day (besides furniture for by the pool, thanks David).  I am one blessed Mom...



 


No comments:

Post a Comment